Monday, October 29, 2012

Black Magic & Milk

I caught myself humming "That Old Black Magic," the Frank Sinatra version of course. 


The song was perfect for the moment since I was headed to a silent 12th century church on top a hill that solemnly overlooks stunning fields, peculiar woods, and a large portion of Bamberg--which just so happened to appear darker than usual, and curious since snow was falling onto it at such a lazy pace. Quite "Sleepy Hollow" like...
Bundled up in my winter coat with all the buttons snapped up to the tip of my cherry-red nose, I could barely contain my delight knowing that the Church of St. Michael was warm and cozy on the inside, and because I was eager to see the unique tombs and architecture of the historic building once again.
The remarkable ceiling of the nave is one of the most impressive parts of the church and is so unlike many of the other European churches that I have been in. 
Over 580 types of magnificent flora, and 6 trouble-making parrots, grace the highest points. My mother would love this, and would spend well over an hour looking at it, I'm quite sure.


However, my most favorite part of the whole sanctuary is unexpectedly at the very back corner of its belly. It's a beautiful and captivating blue room inlaid with creamy white curly-q's all around its crevices. Skeletons of death, delicately holding hourglasses, are warmly welcoming you to stare into their eyes high above you--so unusual and yet I feel at peace here.
Again, the melody began to creep slowly in, 
"That old black magic has me in its spell, that old black magic that you weave so well.
Those icy fingers up and down my spine
That same old witchcraft when your eyes meet mine.
I also began to question my sanity, since most church visitors probably don't mentally hum songs about "black magic" in their head.

Perhaps it's because I've been so overly excited for Halloween this year? 
It must be.

It must also be because I have been OBSESSED with Black Milk. You can see more of their incredible products here!
My best friend "officially" introduced me to this amazing brand (even though I had been swimsuit lusting after I saw Black Milk products on the blog of my favorite blogger). 
These perfectly enticing Haunted House Leggings are my favorite at the moment, and would look wonderful on All Hallows Eve.
The leggings come from Australia! All of the patterns are so unique and mouthwatering, to say the least.

Here's a closer look! I love the divine detail--devilish, little bats flying over the spooky house that's lit up underneath a giant full moon.
Oh, Black Milk.
How you have bewitched me.
Okay.
Seriously...
Back to thesis research.
Happy haunting everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment